Friday, December 5, 2008

Welcome Nicholas

I started this blog as a way to update friends and family about Nick. Each day there is something new. We can't wait to watch how he grows and changes... and boy will he. I also figured this is a great way to chronicle his growth and development, so that one day, he would have it to look back on. So, where to begin... I guess at the beginning.

We found out I was pregnant the day before we left for a vacation in Colorado. Both Bryan and I were shocked. We really couldn't believe it. We were really excited. The next few months brought doctors appointments, ultrasounds, and evening sickness. Lots of evening sickness. Despite all of that, we talked about what kind of child we would have, how we would raise them, and what they would be like.

The time finally came, and we found out we were having a boy. We were both so excited. We had a name picked out already for a boy... Nicholas Charles. Both Bryan and I liked the name Nicholas. Charles was after my father, who passed away 4 years ago. We really think we picked the perfect name.

So, there we were, pregnant, planning, and starting to get the room ready, when November 19th rolled around. I had a doctor appointment for an ultrasound. When the tech started the ultrasound, he noticed a few things wrong. First, the fluid around the baby was low. The blood flow between myself and Nick was also low. He consulted the doctor, and they thought it best to admit me to the hospital for observation. I went to UTMB in Galveston that morning and checked in.

Over the next few days, they monitored me, did a few tests and came up with treatment plans. Nicholas proved that what the doctors had planned was not necessarily what he had planned. After more complications, we finally realized that I would be in the hospital until I would have a c-section, sometime in the next week or two.

After almost 2 weeks in the hospital, Nick decided he was ready to make his grand entrance. He certainly made his entrance memorable. After his heart rate dropped, and I was rushed to the operating room for an emergency c-section, Nicholas made his arrival on December 1, 2008 at 9:1o in the morning.

Being only 27 1/2 weeks, there were complications. Nick went immediately to the Infant Special Care Unit. We knew he would be there for many months. We were able to talk to Neo-Natal Doctors before delivery so we would know what to expect in the first few weeks.

We know that the next couple of months are going to be a roller coaster. We are praying for many more "ups" than "downs". I know that each of you reading this has a special place in your heart for Nick, and I know that you as well will be thinking of him and praying for him as well. I hope to update this daily, but you know how life can be.

We are so proud to know this little boy. Bryan and I both have fallen unbelievably in love with him. We hope that you feel all of our joy as we go through the next few months. Please feel free to check back often, as I said, I will try to update daily. Also, feel free to leave comments, we would love to read them.

No comments: