Sunday, December 28, 2008

Waiting for Results

Sorry I haven't written in a few days. Things have been a little crazy around here. There have been some new developments with Nick. Last night I got a phone call from the docs, that they noticed a spot on Nick's chest that looked a little suspicious. They thought it might possibly be a staph infection. They did a culture and cbc. His blood count looked a little suspicious as well, like he might possibly have an infection. So, they started him on a dose of two broad spectrum antibiotics. The cultures for the spot on his chest won't be done until Wednesday, so we will know what we are dealing with then. If it is nothing, then they will stop the antibiotics. If there does turn out to be something, then they will follow with more doses of antibiotics.


For now, he seems to be doing okay. He is not showing any signs of infection. So that is good. It is a little worrisome, as he can't fight an infection since his immune system is so immature. The biggest problem is if the infection gets in his blood steam. That could be a major problem. The docs are hopeful they caught this early though.


Other than that, things are the same. He is still having some de-sats, but no more than he usually has. Tonight is a weight night, so I will have that new info for you tomorrow. He is still eating at 6.8 cc's an hour and tolerating that well.

Nick and I did Kangaroo Care yesterday. It was fantastic, as always. He did so well with it. He just slept on my chest. No de-sats or anything. He just slept there. He is such a precious little boy. I am so lucky to have him.
This is Nick and I doing Kangaroo care. He just lays on my chest. I talk to him, tell him I love him. He and I stayed like this for about an hour yesterday.

No comments: