Sunday, January 4, 2009

Almost 3 Pounds

Nick has been doing really well the last few days. On the first, he had a few de-sats, but recovered, and has not had one since. I almost hate to write that, for fear that he may start again. Even if he does, he went 4 days with no de-sats. That is so good. I spoke with the nurse about that today, and she said they will probably give him a few more days, then try to start weening him off the bipap and on to the cpap. I could give you an explanation of the difference between the two, but do you really want one? No, all we need to know is the cpap is a little better than the bipap.

Nick is growing so much now. They have increased his feeds to 8.6cc's an hour. Can you believe it used to be only .3cc's an hour. All that food is really making him grow... fast. He is up to 2 pounds, 12.2 ounces. Just a few ounces away from 3 pounds. I can't believe he is right around the corner from 3 pounds! Tonight is another weight night, so we will see how much he has increased tonight.

He is still getting the antibiotics for the staph, although that seems to be gone. His course of antibiotics is done on Wednesday.

I have been holding him everyday. We get snuggle time for at least an hour a day. It is truly the highlight of my day. He wiggles and cries a little when I get him out of his isolette, but as soon as I put him on my chest, he calms right down. He lays just lays on my chest. Sometimes he sleeps, sometimes he looks around. I talk to him. He wiggles. I love feeling his hands move across my skin. Sometimes he puts his hands up by my mouth. Most of the time, he just sleeps. He seems so content. His sats are good, his heart rate is always good when I hold him. It is wonderful.

All in all, I have nothing but good things to report on behalf of Nick. Now, according to form, he should prove me wrong within the next few days. He likes to do that to me. I think he wants to keep me on my toes. That part will probably not change at all the rest of his life.

** I know I haven't posted any photos in awhile. I took some really good ones yesterday. I promise to post a few over the next few days. I know some of you are anxious to see him since he has grown so much.

No comments: