Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Dissappointing Preemie Clinic

I don't even know what to say. Nick had preemie clinic today. He weighed 15lbs, 3 ounces. Basically, he gained 100 grams, or 3.5 ounces. As you may imagine, docs were not happy. Not even a half a pound in 4 weeks, was to say the least, unacceptable. We discussed it, and they docs agreed to give him 6 weeks. At the end of the 6 weeks, if he has not gained a sufficient amount of weight, he is going to be admitted to the hospital for a week for monitoring, and testing. They will do a host of metabolic testing to see what the problem may be.

Nick's growth curve has flat-lined a bit, causing much concern. Each previous preemie clinic, the doc would always say, "I am not worried, I am just concerned". Today, he said "I am worried, very worried." They started talking about "failure to thrive". I know some about failure to thrive, but will probably learn more about it in the next few weeks. I am trying not to worry too much about the failure to thrive. He is not there yet. They said that the only reason they aren't admitting him right now for testing, is that he looks so alert, healthy and happy. They said if he was lethargic, they would probably admit him now, but since he seems to be fine, they are going to give him 6 weeks to pack on the pounds.

I know that right now, there is nothing that I can do. I have to just keep doing my best to make sure he gets the maximum amount of food that I can get into his body. If that means waking 1 - 2 times a night, that is what it takes. Bottom line, I just want him to be healthy, and if we can get some answers, I want that. As a mom, you don't want anything to be wrong with your child, that alone is scary and frustrating. For now, I will wait and see what he can do. When the going gets tough, the one thing Nick can do is rise to the occasion.

Now for a little comic relief so to speak:

Things I learn/ponder/question while waiting in the doctor's waiting room:

  • If your child is sick, please keep him/her out of the "well" child side. They have a sign there for a reason, and I am here with my child just for a check up and don't appreciate your kid coughing all over me and my child
  • If you let your 6 year old drink and entire 20 ounce bottle of mountain dew (which I think has about 6 million grams of sugar), they will NOT stop climbing over the chairs, yelling, or sit still no matter how many times you ask.
  • Asking why your child is acting like a maniac after he drank a 20 ounce bottle of mountain dew will result in dirty looks from most others in the room.
  • If you are trying to get an accurate weight on a child, might I suggest allowing the parents to take off the wet diaper.
  • Telling me that you are worried about my child, and may put him in the hospital for a week should never be followed by the phrase "but I don't want you to worry, enjoy your holiday"

Just a few of my observations today....

2 comments:

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

Will be praying for Nick! We had worries like that will Andrew for a while. I used to add 2 TBS of karo syrup to his bottles and that helped add on some big calories.

Mandy said...

hey nick, buddy, stop moving and eat! i am sorry to hear his doctors are worried. however, he is happy , has energy and is alert! try not to worry, jennifer. this will pass, and nick will be okay. thank you so much for the birthday message, too. hang in there. love, aunt mandy