Monday, January 25, 2010

More...

It seems like time keeps going faster and faster. The older Nick gets, the faster time seems to go. Which is difficult, because that is when I want it to slow down the most. He is growing and changing so much lately. I feel like he is a moment away from walking, and knowing him as I do, I know that he will go from walking to running in an INSTANT. That being said, let me fill you in on a few changes in the last few days.

Today, we started back on our ECI (physical, occupational, speech therapy). We took a little break during the holidays, but are now back in our bi-weekly schedule. Since he has been in it for 6 months, we did an evaluation, re-assessed our goals for him, and determined where we would like him to be in 6 months.

The best part about the evaluation is that he has caught up a lot, and in some areas even surpassing his age. There are a few areas of evaluation they look at. First, ECI doesn't adjust for prematurity after the child turns 1, so in their eyes, he should be testing at the 14 month level. That being said, Mandy, our wonderful ECI therapist, says that she still feels that they will have a little developmental delay, but as long as he doesn't test below his adjusted age (11 months), she isn't worried.

On to the results, in cognition he rated at 14 months, communication was 12 months; motor: 11 months (because he isn't walking); adaptive/self-help: 14 months, and social behavior: 15 months.

So, we are working on the communication and motor. Neither are testing below his adjusted age, so she wasn't too worried. The walking will come in time, and for the speech she gave me some things to try.

He has been trying to imitate me more and more, which is good. I have been really trying to work on sign language. We are starting with two signs, "more" and "all done". Tonight at dinner, he made the sign for "more". It was very exciting. Signing usually helps kids learning to speak.

All in all, I am happy with the results. The social behavior score is pretty funny. I don't think I needed a test to tell me that my child has above normal social scores. He doesn't consider it a successful grocery shopping trip unless he has waved at 10 people, smiled and a few more and made at least 3 people come up and talk to him. There is no such thing as "in and out" anywhere with him. He makes friends everywhere he goes.

No comments: