Monday, April 27, 2009

Nick's New Trick... sort of

I am so sorry that I haven't posted lately. It has been crazy around here. Nick just doesn't seem to understand that I need to post. He prefers that I hold him, play with him, talk to him, and just attend to his every whim. Obviously, by my lack of posts, you can tell what I have been doing.

Things have been going well. Nick had a dr. appointment last week. He weighs 9lbs 3 ozs. He is 21 inches long. I was a little disappointed in his weight. I thought he would weigh a little more. Then yesterday, I put him in some shorts that 3 weeks ago, didn't fit at all. They were way too big. Yesterday, they fit. They will still a little big, but they fit well enough that he could wear them. So, not really sure what the deal was with the weight, but he is definitely getting bigger. We also had to go up a size on a lot of his onesies. So, while the scale may not show it much, he is growing!

Now on to Nick's new trick. He desperately wants to suck his thumb. He has never been much of a pacifier baby. He will take it every once in a while, but only for a little bit. Lately, he is even less interested in the pacifier, and really wants to suck his thumb. He puts his thumb up to his mouth, then moves his head and thumb, trying to make the two unite, however, he is usually unsuccessful. I thought babies just knew how to suck their thumbs, but apparently not. So while this continues for a while, he then gets really mad and throws a fit, all the while still trying to find his thumb with his mouth. On the off chance that he actually connects, he sometimes gets a little enthusiastic and sticks his thumb in a little too far. This results in him gaging. If he has recently eaten, spitting up often follows as well. All in all, the thumb sucking is not successful. There is a big part of me that hopes he gives up on this soon. I have heard horror stories about trying to ween their kids from sucking their thumb.

I hope to write more than what I have been doing lately. Here are some photos from today... all smiles!




1 comment:

Mandy said...

thank you for the adorable picture in the mail, Jennifer! Nick looks great! When I was born at 21 inches, I weighed 9 lbs, too. That's a healthy weight, and he has come so far! Start saving that money for braces. I was a thumb sucker and ended up with big buckie teeth:)