Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Two Evaluations

It was a big couple of days for Nick. He was evaluated by ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) - and they determined he no longer was in need of their therapy! At first I was a little stunned, then as it sank in, I gradually got more excited and was almost in tears. - Literally-. I remember when we started this journey, after the scary medical stuff was out of the way, the next big hurdle was Nick "catching up". I remember hearing lots of issues from various people and most therapists and doctors cautioning that he wouldn't caught up till age 3 - and even then there would be delays.

While ECI - determines him caught up, I in no way believe my child is a super child by reaching this level now - at 20 months. More so, I realize that these so called "tests of ability and development" are really inaccurate. Any child can pass or fail on any given day- mostly due to the fact that they are toddlers and on a whim can decide to cooperate and not cooperate.

Don't get me wrong it is important, and while I fully recognize and see the value in it- sometimes I feel like the prematurity causes a little more scrutiny than that of other kids. I think if he weren't' a preemie - and wasn't doing some of the "developmental appropriate" stuff, no one would see any red flags. Cause the truth is - he is walking, talking, and running. He is a normal toddler.

I remember 20 months ago when this was all new and fresh and scary. Back then, I worried about every little detail and every little development. I fretted that he wasn't sitting, or standing or walking. Truth is, they all do it, and in their own time, preemie or not.

For now I take a cautious optimistic stand that all is going to continue to go well. We do have the option to go back to ECI if I and his doctor thinks it is necessary.

For now that is one less appointment I have to make every other week! Whew!

The formula study appointment was Monday. I don't know the results for that. They have to mail them to me. From what I observed, Nick did a great job. He could point to photos and do things that I was a little blown away by. His biggest issue was paying attention - but he is 20 months old. Surely the build that into the test!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

That is such great news Jennifer!!! :)