Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Green Beans and a Battle of Wills

Nick tried baby food for the first time! Green beans. I was prepared to have them possibly spit back at me, but he seemed to like them. I was all handy with the camera when I gave him his first bite. I thought he might make a funny face for his first bite of veggies. But no, he just ate. (Not sure if he really like it, or he just wanted to "prove me wrong".) Either way, he ate well.

The battle of wills has been coming every night. I had no idea that such a small baby can test you to see what you will allow them to get away with. Each evening, as we are winding down. Nick has eaten dinner, had a bath, and had a bottle. It is time for my little man to drift off into dream land. He, however, has another idea. Lately, any time anyone tries to put him to sleep, he throws a fit. When I say a fit, I mean, screaming, crying, little baby fists shaking in the air.


At first I was so worried that he would somehow hurt himself with these little tantrums. I would get him up and comfort him. That seemed to work for awhile. Then if I tried to rock him, or put him to sleep in my arms, the fits start again. He HATES to go to sleep. He is so fearful he is going to miss something. He can plaster his little eyes open. He won't even blink for fear that his eyes may close, even for one second and he will drift off to sleep.


I have come to realize, that we have to put a stop to this. (This realization came after 5 nights of hour long crying fits.) So, tonight, he was fed, bathed, changed and otherwise happy. I put him in bed. He cried. I waited it out, and he finally fell asleep. All in all, tonight's fit only lasted 15 minutes. I consider it a success. Of course, I know that there are many other battles ahead of me. He has such a strong will.

Green Bean Face

3 comments:

Stephanie, Mama Dramatist said...

LOVE the green bean face!

And let me just say that you're stronger than I was. Bethany threw the same fit because she wanted to be held. So I let her sleep ON me. And then WITH me.

I regret that now, because then she felt dependent on me to go to sleep.

You are doing the right thing, my friend.

AJsMom said...

And so it begins...(I giggle mischievously as I type)

Mandy said...

omg. could he be any cuter??? gushing with pride,
aunt mandy

ps could you add a photo gallery of the cutie?